Play # 57: PARKING LOT ANGELS


 
The play is set in a shopping mall, on a sunny Saturday afternoon in October.  A man sitting behind the wheel of his cherished 1999 Toyota Rav4 is made suddenly aware of a huge, newish maroon van behind him, six inches from his bumper.  The looming van is being driven by monstrously heavy woman, her meek, wide-eyed subteen daughter in the seat beside her.  Unable to bear the heavy-breathing of the woman’s juggernaut van so close to his back bumper, he stops his Rav4, gets out of the car and goes back to talk to the too-imminent woman. 

Woman (lowering her window, furious):  Get out of my way!

Rav-man (with elaborate, enraged calm): What’s the matter with you, hugging my back bumper like that?

Woman (more furious than ever): Get out of my way!!

Rav-man (also furious): Stay off my bumper!!

Woman (apoplectic): Move your stupid old car!

Rav-man (outraged):  Stupid old car??  This is a wonderful car, I love this car.  It has some character—unlike that glossy pointless piece of crap you’re driving!

Woman (angrier still): I have a child in the car.

Rav-man (suddenly perplexed):  So?

Woman (with conviction):  I don’t want her hearing language like that!

Rav-man: Like what? Crap?

Woman (almost hysterical):  I’m going to call someone!

[Suddenly two glowing, diaphanous angels appear, floating just above the two stopped cars]

Angel One (gently):  No need to.  We heard your angers and we are here to help.

Angel Two (also gently): That’s right. We are here to calm you down.

Rav-man (sarcastically):  Good luck.

Angel One: (calmly) Angels don’t need luck.

Rav-man (quietly):  I was thinking more of her and me.  Can’t you recognize a prayer when you hear one?

[The angels giggle together]

(curtain)